Saturday, February 15, 2020 | 7:30pm
Pianist Rachel Cheung won over audiences and critics alike as a finalist at the 2017 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition with "the most sophisticated and compelling music-making" (Dallas Morning News) and was awarded the Audience Prize by online vote. Also a Young Steinway Artist, she continues to build a reputation for a sparkling stage presence and elegant performances across three continents. Recent and upcoming highlights include concerto performances with Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra and Jaap van Zweden, a tour of China, Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong with the Asian Youth Orchestra, and recital tours across the United States and Europe. Born and raised in Hong Kong, Rachel is also laureate of the Leeds, Chopin, Horowitz, Gina Bachauer, and Geneva International Piano Competitions, and a graduate of the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts and the Yale School of Music. She awarded Artist of the Year (Music) by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council in May 2019.
- Selections from Piéces de Clavecin by Jean-Phillipe Rameau (1683-1764)
- Estampes: Pagades, La soirée Grenade, Jardins sous la pluie by Calude Debussy (1862-1918)
- Nocturne No. 6 is D-flat Major, op. 63 by Gabriel Fauré (1845-1924)
- Impromptu No.2 in F Minor, op. 31 by Gabriel Fauré (1845-1924)
- "Toccata" from Le Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)
- Prélude, Fugue et Variation, op.18 by César Franck (1822-1890) and Harold Bauer (1873-1951)
- Preludes, op.28 by Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849)
A sneak peak of her performances
|Rachel Cheung: Prokofiev|
Watch Rachel Cheung play Prokofiev Suggestion Diabolique at the Jiangsu Centre for the Performing Arts!
|Rachel Cheung: Cliburn 2017|
Watch Rachel Cheung's preliminary recital for the 2017 Cliburn!