Friday, July 6, 2012

Happily Eva Afta Actors: Katherine Nakano


* What brought you to Ohia Productions? I was a sophomore in college, and I wanted to get involved with acting. I remember the audition notice went up and I thought to myself, "I could be in that!" I remember at the call backs, Tammy asked if I had any idea what it took to do a main stage production.  I said, "no, but I will do whatever it takes." I got the part of Red Rose Haku. It was an amazing first experience, and I have enjoyed being a part of Lisa's productions ever since.

* What do you enjoy the most about being in this production? As always, the company associated with doing it, and of course, the challenge of creating a new character. 

* What character do you play and how much of your own personality is in that character? I am honored to play the part of The Wicked Queen, Lisa's iconic role. My own personality?  Well, I guess....just a little.  I'm a mom, so I think I have come to hone some "Wicked Queen" traits.  There is definitely a bit of my own mother's quirky personality in her as well. 

* What's your favorite musical number in the show? "Magic of the Mind".  Hands down.  I associate that song with so many great memories.  Every time we sing it, I get chicken skin and tears in my eyes.

* What do you hope the audience will take with them after seeing the show? A sore stomach from laughing so hard and a great big smile on their faces. 

* Any fun behind the scenes trivia you'd like to share about the show? I think a part of the reason these shows are always so good is because of the ensemble work and play that everyone does to work on scenes.  I always find it so interesting and wonderful when I see a scene being worked on, develop into something amazing. 

* Are you a University of Hawaii alumnus?  If so, what was your major and fondest memory of UH?  Yes, I am alumnus.  My major was Performing Arts and Business Management.  Fondest memory? The very first Lisa Matsumoto show I did, of course.  Once Upon One Time.  Rehearsals through performance.  The entire experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACKSTAGE at the Cantonese Opera

春暉粵藝工作坊 BACKSTAGE at the Cantonese Opera a production by the Spring Glory Cantonese Opera Workshop (Hong Kong)...